Friday, February 17, 2006

LIVE AT THE ROYAL FESTIVAL HALL


A long-awaited release from Mary Hopkin.In May, 1972, Mary played what was to be her last concert for years. Saying goodbye to the music business which had catapulted her into worldwide fame barely three years before, she sings some of her best songs including Earth Song and Ocean Song, Those Were the Days and some of the folk classics that inspired her early career. Accompanied by Danny Thompson (Pentangle) and Brian Willoughby (later of The Strawbs), as well as her then husband Tony Visconti and the Pop Arts String Quartet, this is an intimate concert which captures Mary at her best.

2 Comments:

Blogger temmaharbour said...

Maybe I have an advantage over other listeners of this CD as I was fortunate enough to be at this very concert in 1972. It was my first time to see this wonderful performer live on stage, I wasn't disappointed then and I can tell you honestly I'm not disappointed today after hearing and reliving this magical moment from my childhood.

Prior to this concert Mary had for some time been saying she wanted to sing songs that meant something to her, she preferred to sing with her guitar and not in a 'cabaret' type situation, she wanted to communicate with the audience.

Well believe me she did just that on the night, and thank goodness this concert was recorded and kept safe.

Listen to the beautiful Ocean Song, which never fails to make me cry. Listen also to Earth Song, Streets of London and International and you will be amazed at how she has managed to make them sound even better than on the original Earth Song album, but she does and her voice soars with emotion, so strong and crystal clear.

Donna Donna, Silver Dagger, Morning Has Broken, all have been given the distinctive Mary Hopkin touch, every word can be understood, and along with her unmistakable guitar playing this CD is a GEM.

For me the highlight from this CD is “Both Sides Now”, she sang it so many times on numerous TV shows way back then and I so wanted her to record the song and now at long last we have it, was it worth the wait ... You bet it was.

11:11 pm  
Blogger mocho said...

Hi , I like this , thanks for
this blog .


greetings from deep south .

11:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home